Top 5 free Disk Defragmentation Software for Windows
In order to maintain your hard drive, it is important to defragment your hard drive on a regular basis. There are quite many tools/software in the market for disk fragmentation purposes and they are generally utilized when the user faces issues while loading large files or instances when games perform slowly. A disk defragmentation software enables the user to utilize their PC/hard drive space to the maximum ability. As a result, files are arranged in a systematic manner as free space is created and as a result, the file-reading time is automatically reduced. Here are the top 5 free disk defragmentation software for Windows.
This open source defrag tool that has many features. Majority of the work gets done by a kernel mode driver, while its ability to run an app at boot-up time in a similar manner such as chkdsk is commendable. This enables all files to be defragmented and this also includes system files, multiple directories, single file, etc., besides generating the fragmented files list. It is available as 32bit and 64bit Windows version and can run on AMD and also Intel based processor.
UltraDefrag Key Features:
- Boot Time Defragmentation is one of its key feature wherein any system file can get defragmented including registry hives, pagefile, hiberfil.sys file and also those locked by system applications. All this can be done while windows runs fully.
- All data is rearranged by the optimizer, which then places them at the drive’s start. Majority of cases show that it shows better performance when under load when data gets placed at the drive’s beginning.
- Upon installation, any file/folder can be selected at will and defragmented. In case of a recent application or game installation, this option is very useful if you’d like to defragment instantly in order to ensure maximized performance.
Desktop: Windows NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8
Server: Windows NT 4.0, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012
32-bit, 64-bit and Itanium Editions
This utility for Windows is easy to use and fully automatic and works very swiftly, without requiring system resources. There are two optimization strategies where floppies as well as USB disks/sticks may be handled. Command-line version is one of its key features for further configuration like using administrator scripts or task scheduler.
MyDefrag Key Features:
- It features a set of scripts that can be easily used for end users, scripting engine designed for demanding users, a screen saver, etc.
- Does not include a configuration/setup/installation file and all that is required of the user is that they download and unpack.
- Its interface features a detailed hard drive map that gets refreshed three times for every second.
- A color code is used by the program to differentiate between various block types – in use,empty, unmovable, defragmented, etc.
Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, 2008, Win7, and for X64.
Auslogics Disk Defrag
This is a fast cum compact defragmentation tool wherein both NTFS and FAT 16/32 file systems are supported.It features innovative techniques in disk optimization and has the ability to defrag individual files/folders or whole disks on demand/on schedule. Files/folders may be excluded from fragmentation and set on priority before analyzing and optimizing disks before defragging them. It features smart algorithms and a powerful engine and provides comprehensive reports that keep you informed as to what is happening right then.
Auslogics Disk Defrag Key Features:
- Enables fast, safe disk drive defragmentation, apart from that optimizing file system and clusters structure for enhanced disk performance.
- Features a cluster map, besides a menu displaying color themes and 2 map styles. Fast & Slow disk access zones are displayed upon clicking Show Speed Map on View menu.
- Optional algorithms are offered by the program settings where specific-sized files are skipped and temporary files get deleted prior to defragmentation.
- Windows optimization can be enabled with complete speed without the need for defragging of SSDs. Your SSDs and system are analyzed by the program after which both are optimized to ensure maximum performance.
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8.1
This program is the perfect solution for optimizing your system’s performance by defragging files, collecting file fragments, assembling them together, shifting files and directories used frequently to faster disk areas. As a result, the performance of your hard disk gets boosted, increasing overall speed to a great extent. Also, your hard disk’s wear and tear gets considerably reduced, enhancing its life span.
Puran Defrag Key Features:
- Features a streamlined interface that does not require set up of any complex configuration and makes this program easy-to-run.
- Provides an easily readable graphical map displaying the detailed file structure of a specified hard drive, enabling majority of users to have least reading difficulty.
- Has the ability to run in high priority mode on the basis of hard drive fragmentation level which speeds up defragmentation, while the low priority mode takes additional time.
- It has an integrated help system wherein features and concepts are shown in easily-readable language along with screenshots for visual aid.
This disk defragmentation software for Windows monitors the overall performance and health of your SSDs and disc drives by defragmenting individual files/folders. This fully portable and compact program supports NTFS as well as FAT32 file systems and features an interactive drive map that includes quick and complete defrag options. Some of its recent updates include the ability of viewing other disc data at the time of operations, quick SSD optimization and enhanced extension-lacking file detection.
Defraggler Key Features:
- The integrated Windows defragmentation tool can be replaced by this program and added to context menus, making it accessible for defragmenting individual folders/files.
- Large files can be moved to the end of the disc for accessing frequently used and critical data at a faster rate.
- Disc status is displayed by the health tab, while drive performance is the benchmark for this program.
- Displays drive map that displays blocks that are not fragmented, those which are empty or those which need defragmentation.
In order to prevent further fragmentation, empty disk space is systematically organized, thus allowing defragmentation schedule on a daily/ weekly/ monthly basis.
Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP. Including both 32-bit and 64-bit versions